[ Sgt Michael Willetts & Sgt Walter Beard ]

Northern Ireland

[ Cap Badge ]

[ 2 Para ]

[ 2 Para ]

[ 3 Para ]

[ 4 Para ]

Roll of Honour:

Joe Baker, Belfast, Ireland ... The Troubles from 1970

All these publications are published by the Glenravel Local History Project based in the New Lodge area of North Belfast. Set up in 1991 the scheme has produced well over 400 titles as well as countless newspaper reports, radio and TV broadcasts and several DVD's.

Palestine 1945 - 1948


Aden & Radfan

RAF Hastings Call Sign TG 577

Kiel Canal - Germany Wednesday 11th September 1974

131 Independent Parachute Squadron

Falkland Islands



Members of The Parachute Regiment killed as a result of the 
Troubles in Northern Ireland from 1971.

Tribute song to British Soldiers


This is the Para Reg & ABF NI Memorial, which will be unveiled on ABF w/end 6/7th July 2012 in Aldershot on the Sat morning, please show your support, and attend, i would rather see 200 in Dessies and Jeans than 20 in blazer and ties, They gave their lives and this should not be forgotten R.I.P 

"Every Man An Emperor"

Operation BANNER – support by the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force to the police and civil authorities in Northern Ireland
ended at midnight, 31 July 2007 after 38 years.

The names of the UK service personnel who lost their lives during Operation Banner are listed on the Armed Forces Memorial, Staffordshire. The Memorial, which opened to the public in October 2007, remembers all those killed on duty in conflicts or on training exercises, by terrorist action or on peacekeeping missions.

Dr Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London gave a sermon during the service in which he said: (10th September 2008, St Paul's, London)
"We honour the memory of those who were killed by never forgetting them and never forgetting what they were fighting for when they died." He also said "this is also an occasion for paying tribute to all those individuals and organisations who are concerned with the emotional and spiritual health of servicemen and women and who offer practical support to families. The work goes on of course among veterans as they establish their own inner peace and stability and deal with the lasting scars of war." ... Over the course of Operation Banner which lasted from 1969-2007, 763 servicemen and women were killed as a direct result of terrorism. This includes 651 Army and Royal Marine personnel; one Royal Naval Serviceman; 50 members of the former Ulster Defence Regiment and later Royal Irish Regiment; 10 members of the Territorial Army and 51 military personnel murdered outside Northern Ireland. 6,116 members of the Army and Royal Marines were wounded over the period.

[ 10th September 2008, St Paul's, London ]

For a complete list of names of those killed while serving with ...
"The Ulster Defence Regiment CGC" please click here

[ Sergeant Michael G. Willetts ]

25th May 1971:


Sergeant Michael G. Willetts, 27, 3 Para, On the evening of the 25th May 1971 a terrorist entered the reception hall of Springfield Road Police station in Belfast. He carried a suitcase from which a smoking fuse protruded, dumping the case on the floor he fled out-side, inside the room were a man a woman and two children and several police officers. One of the police officers raised the alarm then began organising an evacuation of the hall through the reception office. Sgt Willetts was on duty in the inner hall, on hearing the alarm he sent an NCO to the first floor to warn those above and hastened himself to the door towards which the police officer was thrusting those in the reception hall and office. He held the door open while all passed safely through and then stood in the doorway shielding those taking cover. 
In the next moment the bomb exploded with terrible force. Sgt Willetts was mortally wounded. His duty did not require him to enter the threatened area. All those people who were approaching the door from the far side agreed that if they had had to check to open the door, They would have perished. Sgt Willetts waited, placing his body as a screen to shelter them. By this act of bravery, he risked and lost his life for those of the adults and children.
Sgt Michael Willetts was awarded the George Cross (Posthumous) 

[ George Cross ]

[ Private Richard Barton ]

14th July 1971:

Private Richard Barton, 24, 2 Para, shot driving a Land Rover on night patrol in Anderstown area of Belfast. The vehicle was ambushed by several gunmen and witnesses said Pte Barton accelerated towards gunmen to provide cover for colleagues. 

Awaiting photo

18th March 1972:

Private Kelly, 1 Para.  Accidental  death at  Holywood

[ Private Christopher Stephenson, ]

24th June 1972:

Private Christopher Stephenson, 24, 1 Para, killed with two other soldiers when their Land Rover was destroyed by two landmines consisting of 120lbs of explosive packed in milk churns on a remote stretch of the Derry to Belfast Road at the Glenshane Pass at night. 

Awaiting photo

20th September 1972:

Private Frank Bell, 18, 2 Para, died in hospital three days after being shot in the head while on foot patrols in the Ballymurphy area of West Belfast. 

Awaiting photo

7th April 1973:

Corporal Steven N. Harrison, 24, 2 Para, killed when his Land Rover went over a landmine consisting of 200-300lbs of explosive packed into a culvert under a road at Tullyogallaghan.

LCP Brown

7th April 1973:

Lance Corporal Terence Brown, 24, 2 Para, killed in the same blast incident.

Photo supplied by Northern Ireland Veterans Association.

[ Lance Corporal D.A. Forman, ]

16th APRIL 1973:

Lance Corporal D.A. Forman, 3 Para. Killed in a tragic shooting incident at Flax Street Mill, Belfast

[ WO2 William R. Vines, ]

5th May 1973:

WO2 William R. Vines, 36, 2 Para, killed on foot patrol near Crossmaglen when he walked past a mine that was detonated from a wire that led across the border. Two other soldiers sent to the scene were killed by second booby trap concealed nearby in what was to become a favoured IRA tactic of the so-called 'two-step operation'. Sergeant Major Vines was married just three weeks before he was killed.

Sgt Wallace

24th May 1973:

Sergeant John F. Wallace, 31, 2 Para, killed by bomb blast when securing a booby trapped house near Crossmaglen owned by a man serving with the Royal Irish Rangers. The house was a few hundred yards from border and the bomb was believed to have been detonated remotely from the Republic ... Photo supplied by Northern Ireland Veterans Association.

[ Lance Corporal Philip (Pablo) James, ]

16th March 1974:

Lance Corporal Philip (Pablo) James, 22, 1 Para, killed when his four man patrol in countryside near Crossmaglen was ambushed near the border by IRA gunmen.
Pablo came through the depot with 344 pl also was ex JPC .he went to the Vig pl and was killed the day after his 22nd birthday.

[ Private Roy A. Bedford, ]

16th March 1974:

Private Roy A. Bedford, 22, 2 Para, killed in same incident, both were member of the Vigilant Platoon. L/Cpl James and Pte Bedford were Killed in the Initial ambush, A young soldier who was part of the patrol was later awarded the Military Medal for his part in the Action.

[ Private William Snowdon ]

28th June 1976:

Private William Snowdon, 18, 3 Para, killed by remote controlled bomb during 12-man foot patrol near Crossmaglen.

Awaiting photo

8th August 1976:

Private James R Borucki, 19, 3 Para, killed in Crossmaglen by 5lb remote controlled bomb left on bicycle. Gave his name to part of Army-RUC base jutting into main square in the town centre. 

Awaiting photo

17th March 1978:

Lance Corporal David Jones, 23, 3 Para, shot dead in a gun battle with IRA gunmen near the Glenshane Pass. Some reports said he was involved in a covert observation post when he spotted two suspected gunmen. Jones stood up to challenge the men and was fatally wounded, but he shot back wounding one man.

[ Private Jack Fisher ]

12th July 1978:

Private Jack Fisher, 19, 1 Para, killed by booby trap bomb in Crossmaglen hidden under manhole cover that was detonated as a six man patrol walked by. 


[ Corporal R D Adcock]

2nd December 1978:

Corporal R D Adcock, 1 Para ... was killed in a helicopter accident. 


The day after the bombs went-off, Officers and men from 2 Para paraded at the scene of the blast to pay their respect to their fellow soldiers ... But the IRA had anticipated where the soldiers would set up their command centre after the blast behind a nearby wall and had concealed another 800lb device there. The second explosion half an hour after the first, killed twelve more soldiers. Major Fursman died with fifteen other Paras, all members of the 2nd Battalion.

[ Warrenpoint ]

[ 2 Para Remember ]


By reprinted kind permission of Steve Taylor ... contact Steve via Facebook 27th August 2015

WARRENPOINT 27th August 1979

36 years ago today 16 men fro 2 PARA and 2 men from The Queen's Own Highlanders were murdered at Warrenpoint. 5 seriously were injured in two bomb blasts, my account of that day. Tonight I will raise several glasses to their memory.

36 years ago today and just turned 18 a few weeks prior; I stood in Abercorn Barracks in Ballykinler, county Down, Northern Ireland. I had been in 2 PARA now for 6 months, being posted strait to Berlin for the final months of the battalion’s two year tour. A company 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment were on a month’s deployment to Newry. Two 4 ton trucks loaded with all our kit and extra ammunition were parked outside the block ready to depart. I was supposed to get on the front vehicle, with two good mates whom I joined Junior PARA with, Tom and Barny. “Fuck off crow (new boy), get on the other wagon, lance corporal Chris Ireland said to me half-jokingly, he wanted some leg room to stretch his legs out. Reluctantly I did as commanded. We would follow the coastal route through Newcastle, past a narrow stretch of water that was close to the republic of Ireland and into Newry. 1 Platoon had already moved down prior a day or so before hand and as is customary, we moved in packets, with command elements split amongst the three platoons. We had with us the OC (Officer Commanding) Major Fursman and the Signals Detachment.

As we approached a roundabout a few hundred yards before the first bomb, the wagon I was travelling on began to develop some mechanical problems. As was the procedure, the vehicle with difficulty would take up the forward position. We moved onto a duel carriage way onward to Newry. A gap of a 100 yards or so between us. On the side of the road on the left hand side was a trailer packed with straw. As the rear vehicle came level with it, there a huge fireball and explosion. The breaks were slammed on and for a split second, in what seemed an age, we stood mouths agape. The sides of the truck were gone. Protected only by makralon, able to stop 9mm ammo and Molotov cocktails, it was little if any use against an IED. Bill Kearns, a senior “Tom” (older private soldier) Screamed “Move!” That broke the spell and as per our drills we deployed into fire positions initially. I ran straight for the burning truck. Even though it was only a hundred yards away, I recall my legs feeling heavy and devoid of energy and walked the last part. I later learned that the initial adrenaline that fuels your fight or flight mode, will dump as soon as your perceived personal danger had passed. Black acrid smoke burnt, there was little left of the truck, I came across Barny, who looked completely unscathed, I tried to move him. Barny was a big lad, muscle bound and no lightweight. As I moved him a sound emitted from him, little was I to know at the time, that even the dead will give of a last breath as the trapped air in their lungs escapes. I was frustrated at not been able to easily lift him away from the wreckage. There was blood coming from his head, but no other injuries. Ammunition started to ignite and I was keen to get him away. Also High velocity shots were being fired from across the water. Later reports of exploding ammo mistaken for gunfire were unfounded. A soldier knows the difference of the “crack and thump” of a fired high velocity round and the “pop” of ammo igniting. John Camp came to my assistance and directed me to look for other survivors. John later told me Barmy was already dead and there was nothing I could have done and sent me away to take my mind of it. At some stage we all got down in fire positions and returned fire coming across from the Irish republic. A fire control order was given, two men in a prone position with identified weapons. One was hit by a volley of fire from us. Again years later in was reported that they were innocent bystanders. One was the son of the Queen’s coachman, yet he was traced to have IRA connections.

By now the QRF (Quick reaction Force from C (Bruneval) Company, who we were to relieve, came to our assistance. We had set up an incident control point already controlled by our platoon commander 2 Lt Neil Young. C Coy set up their own position opposite a gate house, an old flint brick building on the right of the road as you were going into Newry. I took up a position on the right. Not long out of Northern Ireland training, I kept moving my position, I walked towards Norrie Porter who was by the gate house, exchange a few words. I recall feeling uncomfortable and started to move away for the area. As I did the secondary device exploded. I was thrown through the air, bowled over by a huge chunk of spinning masonry like 10 bowling pin; landing with a thud smacking my right elbow hard as I landed. I recall seeing Scotty, being thrown against the building on the opposite side of the road. Time seemed to slow down, everything was in slow motion. I had entered “The Zone* Super adrenaline kicks in. It was something I looked into later in life and had herd how a mother could lift a car off her trapped child and many other feats of strength. I mention this for a reason apparent in a few moments. I looked up and see tons of masonry, wooden beams and debris coming down on me. I accepted I was about to die and felt rather calm. I took time to think about my family, what would they think, how would they react at my passing, was this how my life was supposed to end. I thought of my girlfriend at the time. I felt they presence of someone always look over me throughout my army life, was he here now? All around me I could see people but they seemed freeze framed. I saw a massive block of rock descending on me. It hit me squarely between the shoulders, yet I felt no pain, nor was I left with any marks. A lot of rubble landed on me. It made me snap out of my dream like state and spring into action. I started looking for bodies, a land rover at the C company ICP (incident Control Point) was over turned, I remember it being lifted into the air. I found one person by the kerbside. I checked his pulse, nothing, no breathing. Yet again, that rush or air from the lungs made me think he was alive when I found him. I immediately started external cardiac massage, frustrated by not being able to revive him. Someone from C Company came to my assistance and took turns with me. I secure his partially severed hand with a field dressing and looked for father injuries, not so easy when the shit is going down and you see no obvious injuries. Someone put their hand on my shoulder “leave him son, he is dead, nothing you can do for him. See if you can help over there,” pointing towards 3 platoons area. Lt Neil Young instructed me to accompany “Spider” Webb on the ambulance with a bloke from C Company. We were to escort him to Newry Hospital.

During this time and in any battle type situation, confusion reigns supreme, the reasons we have drills, so we respond in the best way to get us through as best as possible. At some stage Bill Kearns did a body count. I was nowhere to be found. Reports had gone back and forward that I was amongst the dead.
I was relieved of duty a few hours later and finally got to the base in Newry. Joe mac, the platoon sergeant got us all together and we were informed of who died and who was injured. Tom, thankfully had survived, though he was severely burnt and suffers from his injuries to this day. Paul Burns, los part of his leg, later to lose the other, which in his words “were worn, having to do twice as much work as it was designed to do. Sadly Paul passed away last year. Tom’s mum passed away a few days ago as well, another sad loss and a lovely lady indeed. Tom was from near Belfast and we would often spend the weekends at his parents’ house. Tom’s dad had also served in 2 PARA

Norrie Porter still carries his injuries, but is alive and well. Pete Grundy drew the short straw and went to Mortar platoon. The rifle companies regularly had to fill the ranks of the support weapons platoons to keep their number sup. Pete was later killed on a patrol in South Armagh.
The next morning I went to the cook house for a cup of tea. I platoon were there. I felt uncomfortable as I was getting some strange stares. Maybe they were pissed off, because I survived and some of their mates hadn’t. “Fuck I’ve just seen a ghost someone said.” Jim Russell commented smiling “Your supposed to be dead,” he said grinning, I laughed back, relived. Something he would always bring up in later years. He would introduce me to people or remark “this man is supposed to be dead,” hand on my shoulder in a friendly gesture of humour. A great bloke and a great soldier.
I am dry this week, here in Iraq, but I will raise a few glasses to those who were murdered, by those who operate from the shadows and dare not face these brave men on the field of battle. RIP.
Those men killed in the first bomb explosion were:

Cpl.J.C.Giles. 3 Platoon, A-Company, 2 PARA.
L/Cpl.C.G.Ireland. 3 Platoon, A-Company, 2 PARA.
Pte.G.I.Barnes. 3 Platoon, A-Company, 2 PARA.
Pte.J.A.Jones. 3 Platoon, A-Company, 2 PARA.
Pte.R.D.V.Jones. 3 Platoon, A-Company, 2 PARA.
Pte.M.Woods. 3 Platoon, A-Company, 2 PARA.

Those men wounded in the first bomb explosion were:

3 Platoon, A-Company, 2 PARA. Paul has since passed away after a motorcycle accident.
Pte.T.Caughey. 3 Platoon, A-Company, 2 PARA.

Those men killed in the second bomb explosion were:

Maj.P.J.Fursman. O.C: A-Company, 2 PARA.
L/Cpl.D.F.Blair. O.C’s Radio Op, A-Company, 2 PARA.
W.O.II.W.Beard. Drum Major, Medium Machine Gun Platoon, 2 PARA.
Sgt.I.A.Rogers Pl Sgt, Medium Machine Gun Platoon, 2 PARA.
Cpl.N.J.Andrews. Medium Machine Gun Platoon, 2 PARA.
Cpl.L.Jones. Medium Machine Gun Platoon, 2 PARA.
Pte.R.Dunn. Medium Machine Gun Platoon, 2 PARA.
Pte.R.N.England. Medium Machine Gun Platoon, 2 PARA.
Pte.T.R.Vance. Medium Machine Gun Platoon, 2 PARA.
Pte.A.G.Wood. Medium Machine Gun Platoon, 2 PARA.
Lt-Col.D.N.A.Blair. C.O: 1 QOHLDRS.
L/Cpl.V.MacLeod. C.O’s Radio Op, 1 QOHLDRS.

Those men wounded in the second bomb explosion were:

Cpl.N.H.Porter. 3 Platoon, A-Company, 2 PARA.
Cpl.S.J.Webb. Medium Machine Gun Platoon, 2 PARA.

Jay Hyrons - Warrenpoint Tribute
For the 35th Anniversary of the Warrenpoint bombing in Northern Ireland on the 27th August 1979.
We remember the servicemen who died and were injured.

[ Major Peter Fursman ]

27th August 1979:

Major Peter Fursman, 35, 2 Para, Killed at Warrenpoint described by the Paras as their worst post war disaster. In a carefully organised attack the IRA first blew up a parked trailer on a dual carriageway running parallel with Carlingford Lough as an Army convoy passed. Six were killed in the initial blast.

[ Lance Corporal Donald F. Blair ]

27th August 1979:

Lance Corporal Donald F. Blair, 23, 2 Para. 

L/Cpl Don Blair was "A" Coy Sigs Det Commander, and L/Cpl Stuart Russell was his 2IC (also a L/Cpl, but junior to Don, who was an RSI). Don had gone with the OC and the Adv Party of "A" Coy to Newry a few days ahead of the Main Body. LCpl Stuart Russell was travelling in the land-rover in the lead of the 3 vehicle packet that was ambushed. Don and the OC's Rover Group came down to assist from Newry, and I (LCpl Stuart Russell) was walking towards Don and the OC when the 2nd bomb went off - By pure good fortune, I (LCpl Stuart Russell) was blown back up the road by the blast but was unhurt, but Don, the OC and 10 others were killed by that second blast.

Awaiting photo

27th August 1979:

Corporal Nicholas J. Andrews, 24, 2 Para.

[ Private Gary I. Barnes ]

27th August 1979:

Private Gary I. Barnes, 18, 2 Para.

[ Private Raymond Dunn ]

27th August 1979:

Private Raymond Dunn, 20, 2 Para.
A Son and Brother ... His Life a beautiful memory, His absence a silent grief. 

Anthony Wood

Photo sent by Nick Higgins 31st March 2014 with thanks, Tony is on the Left, taken in Berlin

27th August 1979:

Private Anthony G. Wood, 19, 2 Para. 

Private Tony Wood died at the tender age of 19 one of 18 soldiers murdered by the IRA in the Warrenpoint massacre. As the oak coffin was being carried into the family parish church in West London Mrs Wood broke down. Clinging to the arm of her policeman husband Eric, she collapsed crying "Oh my poor Tony what have they done ?" Tony was at the wheel of the Army truck when it was blown off the road in the border ambush on Monday. His brother Terry 17 said after the service in Saint Thomas Roman Catholic Church, Fulham: "We cannot hate anybody" "But his murderers were cowards, They didn't have the guts to show themselves and face Tony and his friends" Terry wants to follow his brother into the paratroopers. His voice cracking with emotion Terry shook the hands with four paratroopers who had flown over from Belfast to be pallbearers

Corporal Karl Harper said "Tony was a grand lad, everybody liked and respected him" Private Michael O`Leary said "We will miss him but we aren't angry morale is higher than ever amongst the lads and we are determined to do are job" Terry entered the small church which was packed with friends and neighbour, and Army colleagues, holding the hand of his sister Liane 15. it was the church Tony as baptised in, and served as an altar boy, and where his parents had been married. The parish priest Father Kenneth McCabe- an Irishman like so many of the family's friends and relatives said "We must have hope" He added "We all want peace in Northern Ireland and deplore the events of last 10 years whatever faith Perhaps this time someone somewhere will do something to pull us back to our senses, Tony's death might make the politicians work for peace and love" After the service, the procession passed slowly through Tony's neighbourhood, stopping for a moment outside his in Auriol Road Hammersmith, His Father said "He lived for the Army, He loved the Army, I have lost a Son as fine as any man could ask for"

[ Private Michael Woods ]

27th August 1979:

Pte M. Woods

Private Michael Woods, 18, 2 Para ... he is buried in a family grave in Pleasington Cemetery, Blackburn.

Cpl John C  Giles

27th August 1979:

Corporal John C. Giles, 22, 2 Para.

Awaiting photo

27th August 1979:

Sergeant Ian A. Rogers, 31, 2 Para.

[ Warrant Officer Walter Beard ]

27th August 1979:

Warrant Officer Walter Beard, 31, 2 Para.
Webmasters note ... 
Wally Beard was my Plt Sgt in Signals Plt, My privilege to have known him, one of the many MEN in the Regiment that taught me things that the book doesn't teach ... RIP Wally

[ Private Thomas R. Vance ]

27th August 1979:

Private Thomas R. Vance, 23, 2 Para. Thomas was born 5th July 1956

[ Private Robert N. England ]

27th August 1979:

Private Robert N. England, 23, 2 Para. 

[ Corporal Leonard Jones ]

27th August 1979:

Corporal Leonard Jones, 26, 2 Para.

Awaiting photo

27th August 1979:

Private Jeffrey A Jones, 18, 2 Para. 

[ Private Robert D. Vaughan-Jones ]

27th August 1979:

Private Robert D. Vaughan-Jones, 18, 2 Para. 

The memorial window (above) was designed and paid for by Robert's parents, (who are sadly no longer with us) The memorial windows are installed in their local church St mael and St sulien in Corwen, North Wales ...The information was given to us by Robert's brother's (Charlie & Edward Vaughan Jones.)
To contact the Vaughan Jones family ... please click here

[ Lance Corporal Chris G. Ireland ]

27th August 1979:

Lance Corporal Chris G. Ireland, 24, 2 Para

[ Private Peter S Grundy ]

16th December 1979:

Private Peter S Grundy, 21, 2 Para, killed by booby trap bomb in remote farmhouse near Tullydonnel, Forkhill. He had narrowly escaped death at Warrenpoint by transferring at the last moment from the vehicle hit by the first blast to a Land Rover that did not face the main blast.

Lt Simon Bates

1st January 1980:

Photo sent by Nick Higgins 31st March 2014 with thanks, left, playing rugby for B Coy at Ballykinlar.

Lieutenant Simon Bates, 23, 2 Para, killed accidentally by his own men after he broke standard operating procedures by moving once he had set up an ambush in Tullydonnel area. He was with his signaller who was also killed.

[ Private Gerald Hardy ]

1st January 1980:

Private Gerald Hardy, 18, 2 Para, killed in the same incident. 

[ Sergeant Brian M. Brown ]

9th August 1980:

Sergeant Brian M. Brown, 29, 2 para killed by remote controlled bomb while patrolling near Forkhill.

Brian M. Brown, 29-years-old, married with 3 children and a soldier with the Parachute Regiment holding the rank of Sergeant was from Rowlands Castle, Hampshire but lived in Portsmouth. SGT. Brown was leading a patrol along the Carrive and Sheehan Roads about 200 yards from the border when the IRA detonated a bomb and killed Sgt Brown instantly. Another soldier and a passing motorist were seriously injured in the explosion. The bomb was a 200lb bomb and was made from homemade explosives and just before 2:00PM the bomb was detonated by radio control.

The Republican News printed an IRA statement about the explosion but it gave no mention of the injured civilian. The March 1981 inquest was told the coroner found he had died from brain injuries and a fractured skull.

Awaiting photo

24th December 1981:

Lance Corporal P Hampson, 1 Para.

Awaiting photo

26th August 1982:

Lance Corporal M C May, 1 Para. 

[ Sergeant Alistair I. Slater ]

2nd December 1984:

Sergeant Alistair I. Slater, 28, 2 Para, serving with the SAS he was killed in an operation which left two IRA gunmen dead and another two captured while more than 1,000lb of explosives was recovered. Awarded the Military Medal.
Established: 25 March 1916 Criteria: The Military Medal (MM) was awarded for individual or associated acts of bravery.

Sergeant Alistair Ira Slater MM was a British Army soldier who served in B Sqn, 22 Special Air Service who was killed whilst on operations against the Provisional Irish Republican Army in Kesh, County Fermanagh in Northern Ireland ...The operation also led to the deaths of Antoine Mac Giolla Bhrighde and Kieran Fleming and the arrest of the other two members of the four man unit. The IRA men had been attempting to bomb an RUC police car.

[ Beret & Wings ] ... 22 Special Air Service Beret & Wings

[ Sergeant Michael B. Matthews ]

28th July 1988:

Sergeant Michael B. Matthews, 37, 1 Para, blown up by an IRA landmine near Cullyhanna as he led a 12-man joint army and police patrol.

Michael Bryan Matthews, 37-years-old, married and a soldier with the Parachute Regiment holding the rank of Sergeant and was serving with the regiment's 1st Battalion. He was from Weymouth in Dorset. SGT. Matthews died from wounds he received 2 days earlier in an IRA landmine explosion near Cullyhanna. He was leading a 12-man joint army and police foot patrol. As the patrol was moving along Skerriff Road toward the village a 100lb bomb was detonated by radio control. The inquest was told by a policeman: "as Sgt Matthews approached the 30mph sign, I heard a dull bang, and the next thing I remember was leaving the road and I had lost my rifle". The police officer received leg and facial injuries but was not seriously hurt. Sgt Matthews was pulled from the rubble and was airlifted to the military wing of the Musgrave Park Hospital with serious head and leg wounds. Sgt Matthews was on his 4th tour of duty in Northern Ireland and had been married for less than a year.

[ Private R Spikins ]

25th March 1989:

Private R Spikins, 3 Para

[ Lance Corporal Stephen P. Wilson ]

18th November 1989:

Lance Corporal Stephen P. Wilson, 23, 3 Para, blown up in a Land Rover near Mayobridge as it drove over an IRA landmine detonated by two men who escaped on a stolen motorcycle.

[ Private Donald C. Macaulay ]

18th November 1989:

Private Donald C. Macaulay, 20, 3 Para, killed in same incident. 

[ Private Matthew E. Marshall ]

18th November 1989:

Private Matthew E. Marshall, 21, 3 Para, killed in same incident.

[ Private Tony C. Harrison ]

19th June 1991:

Private Tony C. Harrison, 21, Tony served in 8 Plt C/Coy, 3 Para, shot by gunmen while visiting his fiancée in what was considered a safe part of East Belfast. The gunmen knocked at the door, forced their way past the woman he was going to marry as they finalised their wedding plans and shot the soldier five times as he watched television ... This is the background story to why/how he was killed.
Total Respect for Poor Tony, another Tragic Loss to the Reg. I was in C Coy, 9 Plt when I was a crow with him, Excellent Guy RIP Tony. The way his life was taken in Ireland was a massive shock to all on return from leave and a reminder to be vigilant at all times off Duty.

[ Lance Corporal P H Sullivan ]

27th June 1992:

Lance Corporal P H Sullivan, 3 Para. L/Cpl Coulson and L/Cpl Sullivan were killed in a drowning accident while crossing a river, during a patrol. one died going back to help his friend who had got into difficulties halfway across the river. It was the last patrol before the Battalion left the Province.

Awaiting photo

27th June 1992:

Lance Corporal R Coulson, 3 Para. Killed in same incident.

Awaiting photo

20th August 1992:

Private M B Lee, 2 Para.

[ Private P F J Gross ]

13th May 1993:

Private P F J Gross 1 Para Accidental death at Holywood.

Awaiting photo

4th December 1994:

Private C D King, 1 Para. 

Awaiting photo

21st August 1997:

Private M A Ramsey 1 Para. Died in accident

On the 22nd February 1972 a large car bomb exploded at the Officers Mess of 16 Parachute Brigade in Aldershot, Hampshire.
Killing a Roman Catholic Army Padre, 5 Women Cleaners and a Gardener.
The official IRA claimed responsibility for this outrage.

[ Officers Mess of 16 Parachute Brigade in Aldershot, ]

[ Padre Gerry Weston ]

Reverend Father Gerry E Weston MBE
Had recently been awarded the MBE for his work in Northern Ireland while serving with one of the Parachute Battalions in the Province. Captain Father Weston was buried with full military honours in his hometown of Liverpool.

Lieutenant Colonel Geoffrey Howlett, commanding officer of the 2nd battalion, the Parachute Regiment, paid tribute to Captain Gerry Weston, 37, who died in the explosion. "Captain Padre Weston was an absolutely tremendous Roman Catholic priest," he said. "He did a tremendous amount to try and bridge the gap between the Catholic community and the Catholic Church and our soldiers. "And he was continually going around into Catholic estates to try and achieve this, very often by himself and obviously completely unarmed and dressed as a priest."

Capt Weston Royal Army Chaplains' Department

[ Captain Weston ]

[ Mrs Thelma Bosley ]

Thelma Bosley
Aged 44. Mrs Bosley was bringing up 3 young boys aged 6,14,and 16 on her own, her eldest son who was aged 22 was serving with the Parachute Regiment, After the outrage the boys were separated and ended up in various children’s homes till they were 18.
Mrs Bosley was buried in Aldershot.

Joan Lunn
Aged 39. Mother of two teenage daughters and a son, The family lived in Tongham, Hampshire.

Margaret Grant
Aged 32. Wife of an ex Parachute Regiment Soldier and the mother of 3 children. The family lived in Aldershot but were planning to emigrate to Canada.

[ Margaret Grant ]

Jill Mansfield Aged 34.

She was a cleaner at the Officers mess, Jill had one son called Dean age 8 years old when she was killed. Jill is buried in a Civilian Cemetery in Aldershot. Hants.

Dean Mansfield at his Mothers grave in Aldershot. He was about eight and a few months old. He had just been knocked over by a car walking to school which as you can see, why his right leg is in a cast.
The Headstone was provided by the Army for his Mothers grave.

John Haslar
Aged 58. From Aldershot.


Cheri Munton
Aged 20. Was single and lived with her mother and stepfather in Eggars Hill in Aldershot, Hampshire.

"May they rest in peace"